Friday, August 7, 2015

Furniture Adventure- Part II

So in my last post I wrote about some thrift store finds, and the process of refinishing the chair that we found. Here is what I did to the trunk !

First I spray painted the trim cream...

Next I taped of the trim to paint the rest of the trunk...

Several coats of paint later(with some light sanding of some drips, and re-spraying of some areas) the tape comes off.

Not too bad, but the paint peeled some from the tape and there was no way to get it completely touched up. In addition the trunk looked a little blah for my taste. So I did some ageing w by dry brushing and rubbing some acrylic paint in strategic places.

As for the inside of the trunk; it was just plywood, and although there was no sign of mold, or rot, it did smell like someone spilled a large bottle of awful perfume in there and than decided to store  candles and potpourri in it... yuck.

  After scrubbing it with hot soapy bleach water (while wearing gloves and in a well ventilated place!) I sealed than sealed the wood with a polycrylic coating.

The next step was to Modge-Podge pages from A Midsummer Nights Dream, and Macbeth. on the inside. 

Following that I did two more coats of varnish, and as a finishing touch, I adhered some vintage luggage labels (I had printed off) on the outside, and added a personalized shipping label.

It turned out to be a much bigger project than I anticipated, but was well worth it!

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Furniture adventure- Part 1

I have always enjoyed watching HGTV. So, the other weekend I was watching some "Flea-market Flip" with my brother. We were chatting about how I needed some furniture for my apartment, and we ended up getting inspired to to some re-finishing of our own!

At the local thrift store we found a kitchen chair with good bones, but a lot of wear, for $3 and a gold metal trunk, that had seen better days, for $10.

Armed with spray paint ( found at the local Menards, much cheaper than the craft store!) along with sand paper and this nifty spray handle (about $3 and well worth it, saving my hand from cramping up!) we got to work. 

I washed down the trunk, and we sanded and the chair.

After two coats of spray paint, the chair already looked so much better!

All that's left is some light sanding, to smooth some rough spots and drips, and add a vintage effect. The chair is done!

Stay Tuned for Part II; where we tackle the trunk!